Here is a fantastic recipe that doubles up as a brain booster!
Brain Boost with Banana Bake
Makes 9 squares
-2 large ripe bananas
-300g ground almonds
-40g walnuts blitzed in a blender
-130g Greek-style/strained vanilla yoghurt
-100g agave nectar/honey
-50g coconut oil
-50g dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1 teaspoon cinnamon
Tip: Blitzing the ground almonds even more in a blender will make it more moist.
Or instead of ground almonds, you could also use 200g oats blitzed up in a blender
to make an oat-like flour.
1. Preheat oven to 180’c. Line an 8-inch baking pan with grease-proof (parchment) paper.
2. Mash the bananas in a bowl. Crack in the eggs and mix.
3. Next add the yoghurt, vanilla extract and agave/honey and mix.
4. Finally, melt the coconut oil and add to this wet mix.
5. In a separate bowl, mix the remaining dry ingredients together which includes: ground almonds, walnuts, cinnamon and dark chocolate pieces.
6. Add the dry mix to the wet mix and stir well to mix the ingredients thoroughly.
7. Pour the mixture into the pre-lined baking pan.
8. Bake in the oven at 180’c for 40minutes.
Niamh Arthurs, Public Health and Clinical Nutritionist